Friday, March 25, 2011

Roasted Goose of Yung Kee in Hong Kong

Yung Kee Restaurant at #32 Wellington St., Central District of Hong Kong is famous in many tourist guide books. Having been in the food business since 1942 after almost 3 generations, it is an institution to this modern Asian city. With a Michelin star under its belt, and having been voted to no. 12 as Best Asian Restaurant in Miele Guide 2010, I decided to give them a try. The photo below is their display window of roasted meats, while the restaurant's entrance is on the right side.


I ordered their signature dish, their famous and multi-awarded roast goose at HK$ 140 per serving. It is quite pricey, even for Hong Kong standards, but the portion size is good for 2 people. The dish was served on a white beijing (oblong) plate with a sweet plum sauce. Using their white plastic chopstick, I dipped my first slice of roast goose on the plum sauce. I have to admit that it was one of the best roast meats I have ever tasted, although the roast goose served to me is just slightly warm, and the roasted skin had lost much of its crunchiness.

Their roasted goose tastes good, even without the plum sauce, if you prefer a less sweet version. I thought the roast goose really has generous servings. But after consuming a third of the portion size, it was revealed that the roast goose slices lie on a bed of red beans. 


However, after consuming about two-thirds of the now cold roast goose all by myself, the novelty of the dish started to wear off. The taste of their roast goose became boring or tiring, even when alternated with steamed rice and jasmine tea. So I think their roast goose is overrated, and too expensive at its dine-in price. For me, the roasted meats of Cafe de Coral fastfood chain offers more value for money. 


Someday, I would still like to try Yung Kee's less expensive roasted meats from their take-out counter, which can be found on the left side of the restaurant's display window. Yung Kee can be reached thru MTR's Central Exit D2, then walk to the direction of Queen's Road and Aguilar street. Go there early (before 7:00 pm) if you like to avoid a queue of guests waiting for available dinner seats outside the restaurant.

Bookmark this post:
StumpleUpon DiggIt! Del.icio.us Yahoo Technorati Google Twitter FaceBook

No comments:

Post a Comment